CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Help Needed!

Yesterday we took the boys to the pool at my mom's condo. Before we went we had dinner at her house. She had raspberries and strawberries for fruit. We wanted the boys to try a raspberry before either one of them could go swimming. Javen LOVES to swim so he suffered through it. He didn't like it, but he did. Jaxon likes to swim also but he never did eat the raspberry. He sat by the pool and watched Javen swim. Sound like fun? So we are still sticking to our deal and Jaxon needs to eat one raspberry before he goes swimming. At this point, we can't give in. It's day two and we are planning on going swimming on Thursday evening. He still won't try the darn thing. I've tried everything. I need new ideas and suggestions. I want him to be able to go swimming sometime this summer!
What do I do with this ever so stubborn child?

5 comments:

Amy said...

I have a stuborn one too. Would it break the deal if you let him make his own smoothie and put it in?

Tobler Bunch said...

Rob's Ideas:

1. Don't force him to eat one but tell him that he can never eat another dessert again (EVER!) until he eats 3 rasberries. That way it's his choice. Then stick to it.

2. Blind fold him, and play the taste testing game to see if he can identify flavors (cereal, chocolate chip, cheese, etc.) and have him eat one. Film it, then show him what he has eaten.

3. Follow this lady's advice: Never force but certainly encourage your kids to try different foods. Just say, "I would like you to try this." Praise your child when they have tried a food. e.g. "it is fantastic that you tried the …… it is okay that you don't like it; but fantastic that you gave it a go." It may take up to 30 attempts for a child to accept a particular food. If they have tried a food and they don't like it; try again at a later date. If they say but I don't like that - just say, "that was when you were a little younger and you are bigger now and your taste buds might now be ready for this food - just give it a try." Their palate is developing, it can be very sensitive and it changes as they grow. When encouraging them to try a food - don't put too much on their plate - just a enough for them to taste - then they wont become overwhelmed with an expectation that they have to eat all that has been put in front of them. Positive feedback with gentle encouragements gets great results with kids.

Jeremy Saunders said...

just spray a big dollop of whipped cream over it! or soak it in chocolate! HA!
mimi
ps I am serious.

Brianne said...

Sorry, but I find that hilarious. Fruit is one of the things that Kaylin will almost always eat. I like the first idea about having him make something with the raspberry. It seems that a lot of kids are more likely to eat something they helped make. Good luck!

April said...

Why does he have to eat a raspberry??
April